Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dr. Barton Reviews Bulletproof Coffee. Have you tried it yet?


Barton Chiropractic reviews
I was introduced to bulletproof coffee by a young Chiropractor in Concord. I was very skeptical at first. So I started looking in to it. There really is no research to support the claims that are made. But the concept itself makes good sense. Our bodies like to process fat. Grains, not so much. So I thought I would give it a try.
 
What is it?
 
Dave Asprey is a Silicon Valley entrepreneur and leader in the "biohacking" movement. His most popular innovation, however, is a drink – Bulletproof coffee, which is a mix of oil, butter, and coffee beans. Asprey had the idea in Tibet when, exhausted from hiking in the Himalayas, he was treated by some locals to a tea creamed with yak butter. He felt immediately revitalized. Upon returning to the States, he began researching buttered beverages and eventually developed a coffee-based version.

Asprey's Bulletproof Coffee
Ingredients
  • 2 cups of hot coffee brewed with low-toxin beans. (Bulletproof sells such a brand, called Upgraded Coffee.)
  • 1 to 2 tbsp of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. Bulletproof sells its own purified MCT product called Upgraded Brain Octane.
  • 2 tbsp of unsalted butter from grass-fed cows
Preparation
Brew the coffee. Combine the MCT oil, butter, and coffee in a blender, and liquefy until a thick layer of foam forms on top.

Dr. Barton's brew: I use two shots of espresso, one good teaspoon organic butter, one teaspoon coconut oil, a heavy pinch of cinnamon then I run it through the blender. I actually have been enjoying so much, it is hard to drink regular coffee.

What have I noticed? I have my coffee at 5;30 am, I am not hungry until noon. I feel great. Energy is great, Body fat has decreased.

What is MCT?
Asprey claims the MCTs in Bulletproof coffee help with mental acuity and energy levels. Compared to longer-chain fats, MCTs are digested more quickly and are less likely to get stored in fatty tissue. One of the most recent studies on MCTs found that they did promote weight loss but didn't boost exercise performance. Whether they give an overall energy boost is still not certain.
 
Why Butter?
Compared to cream, butter also has more butyric acid, a short-chain fatty acid that possesses anti-inflammatory properties, and some research has shown it can promote brain function and gut health. Butter also has more vitamins, such as A, D, and K2, than cream and is lower in sugar.

 It's not as odd as you may think. Adding butter to hot drinks is a longstanding tradition in many parts of the world. Mixing spiced butter into coffee is common in Ethiopia, for example. Similarly, hot tea with yak butter - vigorously churned to prevent the fat and water from separating - is a staple drink of Tibetans who live at high altitudes. They regard it as an essential source of energy that helps them flourish in their harsh, frigid climate.
 
The reason it seems so strange to us is a misguided campaign against saturated fat (loosely defined as fat that remains solid at room temperature) waged in the U.S. since the late 1970s has left many Americans skittish about butter; they have been repeatedly warned that it 'clogs arteries."
 
March, 2010 issue the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found "no significant evidence" that dietary saturated fat is associated with increased heart disease risk. Still, I'm not comfortable telling people to eat it with abandon.
 
I have been experimenting with coffee made according to Asprey's recipe and have had good results. It keeps hunger at bay and has enhanced my mental clarity and sharpness 20 to 25 percent.  I believe that a morning dose of almost pure fat may help stimulate the body's fat-burning potential, leading to easier weight loss. I have been using organic coffee and butter from grass-fed cows and coconut oil. In two weeks I have lost 9 lbs.
 
I thought Huh, What if I just try coffee in the morning. 0 wt. loss after 2 weeks. Not to mention my stomach felt a bit sour, I was grinding my teeth. Not so good.
 
I continue to recommend my anti-inflammatory diet as the eating plan most consistent with current nutrition science. It recommends moderate consumption of fat in general and saturated fat in particular.
 
Overall, I like it. Weight loss, more energy, not hungry till noon, what's not to like. I am getting ready for a blood draw today we will see how that looks.
 
If you have more questions you can contact our office at www.BartonChiro.com or call (925) 685-2002 to schedule a free consultation.
 

1 comment:

  1. Burke Chiropracti Center is your go-to health center for holistic health care. Dr Burke focuses on chiropractic care, pain relief, nutrition, and total wellness. We can often help patients even when they have struggled to find relief in the past. Highly recommended www.burkechiropractic.com

    ReplyDelete